L’Alternativa, 30th Barcelona Independent Film Festival will take place from 10 to 19 November 2023 and will be a hybrid event: onsite* and online. The main onsite venue is the Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona (CCCB).
All films submitted for selection must have been completed after 1 January 2022.
With the exception of films with English, Spanish or Catalan dialogue or text, all preview copies (online screeners) must include English subtitles.
Regular: 3 July 2023 Late entries: 10 July 2023
Feature film: €10 Short film: €5
Feature film: €20 Short film: €10
Payment should be made in euros by credit/debit card. If you have a Spanish bank account, you can pay by Bizum.
Entries will be considered for the following areas of the festival programme:
- International Feature Film (fiction, nonfiction, essay, animation, experimental) with a minimum running time of 60 minutes.
- International Short Film (fiction, nonfiction, essay, animation, experimental) with a maximum running time of 45 minutes.
- Spanish Feature and Short Film (fiction, nonfiction, essay, animation, experimental), with a minimum running time of 60 minutes for feature films and and a maximum running time of 45 minutes for short films.
The Festival awards the following cash prizes to winning filmmakers:
- €5,000 International Feature Film Prize
- €2,000 International Short Film Prize
- €5,000 Spanish Feature or Short Film Prize**
L’Alternativa Hall is an area that hosts curated screenings during the Festival.
Entries may be invited to participate in the Hall Selects programme.
Payment and Entry Form
- Please pay the entry fee online.**
- You will receive an email with your entry code.
- Submit your film by completing the online entry form for each film you submit.
- We do not accept entry forms sent by email.
- Once you have completed the form, you will receive an email confirming that your film has been entered for this year's festival.
When completing the entry form, please include a direct URL link (and corresponding password, if necessary) for streaming the film on a video-sharing website (e.g. Vimeo, YouTube, etc.). We do not accept links to download films from FTP servers or accept files sent via file-sharing services (e.g. RapidShare, WeTransfer, etc.).
If you represent a film distributor, production company or film school that wishes to register more than 10 titles, please contact us regarding special rates for the entry fee ([email protected]).
All submitted films will be viewed by a selection committee.
Entrants whose film has been selected will need to cover the costs of sending a screening copy to Barcelona. L'Alternativa will ensure its safe return after the Festival.
The Festival has an insurance policy to cover any damage to, or loss of, screening copies or any other physical material submitted by participants
No selected films will be screened without authorisation from the rights holder.
All selected films will be screened exclusively at festival venues during the week of the Festival. The Festival will ask rights holders for permission to screen their film under any other circumstances.
Selected filmmakers are encouraged to attend l'Alternativa in person to accompany onsite screenings.* The Festival can make a contribution towards travel and/or accommodation expenses.
Screenings are followed by a Q&A session.*
Selected films will be included in the video library, which is open to accredited professionals during the Festival.*
Your contact details will only be used for direct contact between l'Alternativa and yourself and will not be shared with any third parties.
If you would like to receive l'Alternativa newsletters, please sign up.
Participation in l'Alternativa implies acceptance of the above regulations.
The Festival will settle all non-specified cases within the terms thereof.
* Circumstances permitting.
** In the event of a tie in the Spanish Films category, €2,500 will be awarded to the winning feature and €2,500 will be awarded to the winning short.
*** The entry fee is non-refundable unless the festival is cancelled.
- call for entries now closed
- The deadline for late entries was 10 July and we are no longer accepting submissions entries for this year's edition.
- We will be contacting all filmmakers with the selection results in October.
- Many thanks for all your submissions!