6th L'Alternativa Professionals Symposium
Producing, Distributing and Screening Independent Films
Unity is strength. Filmmaking and audiovisual events are all about forging ties, building alliances and cooperating for mutual benefit. We need to find new ways of working, communicating and understanding. We have to surprise and enthral spectators spoilt for choice. There are too many films bidding to be screened, and audiences are too thinly spread. It's not surprising that filmmakers today can often feel somewhat alone. Filmmaking is all about teamwork, often with limited resources. We have to make an effort to reach spectators because these are the people we need to weave a strong social fabric engaged with and actively clamouring for our films.
This symposium will explore different forms of collaborative production and distribution, find out more about success stories and discover the keys to what works.
Production and Distribution
Moderator: Àlex Navarro, Coordinator of the Catalan Ministry of Culture's Europa Creativa Desk - MEDIA Catalunya.
- Daniel Saltzwedel is a producer for Ma.ja.de. Filmproduktion in Leipzig and Berlin and also represents Deckert Distribution at festivals and markets. Until recently, he worked as a funding consultant for the Medienboard Berlin-Brandenburg, specialising in creative documentaries. He teaches story development and film financing at Konrad Wolf Film University Babelsberg, among others.
- Xavier Artigas is a filmmaker and founder of Metromuster. He codirected Ciutat morta and directed No-res, among others. Metromuster is an independent audiovisual production cooperative that has been experimenting with art, communication and politics since 2010. It works to raise funds for noncommercial projects and helps bring about social change by empowering communities and groups in struggle.
- David Epiney directed several animated films before setting up Alina Film with Eugenia Mumenthaler in 2008. Alina Film is a production company specialising in arthouse films and international coproductions. Their first feature film, Milagros Mumenthaler's Abrir puertas y ventanas, was a great critical success and won the Golden Leopard, the Leopard for Best Actress and the Fipresci Prize at Locarno 2011 and the Astor de Oro at Mar del Plata Film Festival. Jean-Gabriel Périot's Une jeunesse allemande opened the Panorama section at this year's Berlinale. David was selected to represent Switzerland at the Producers on the Move programme during the 2012 Cannes film festival.
Digital Single Market Plan
- Eduardo Escudero Codirector and business director at A Contracorriente Films and a board member at Europa Distribution, which brings together over 140 European distribution companies. He handled business affairs at Grupo Filmax and DeAPlaneta, where he was also head of sales. He set up and was managing director of Notro Films, which teamed up with Manga Films to form Vértice 360º, where he was deputy head of film.
Distribution and Screening
Moderator: Jaume Ripoll, codirector of Filmin and director of Atlántida Film Festival.
- Since 2010 Ena Rahelić has worked as industry manager at Sarajevo Film Festival and head of the sales and acquisitions for the festival organiser, Obala Art Centar. She is also head of the Operation Kino audience education and development project, which aims to promote film distribution in cinemas and on demand. Between 2010 and 2014 she worked as a radio producer at Bosnia and Herzegovina Radio and Television. She is actively involved in the local and regional film industry, especially in the fields of exhibition, distribution and sales, and she also works a distributor for the region of the former Yugoslavia.
- Nico Marzano has held the position of film and cinema manager at the Institute of Contemporary Arts de Londres (ICA) for the past two years, where he has curated a programme of independent and socially relevant films. He recently organised the Catalan Avant-Garde cycle to export the most innovative projects of new Catalan cinema to the British market, raise Catalan filmmakers' visibility and bring them closer to the public. He also organised a UK First season of films by Italian director Elio Petri and a full retrospective of Krzysztof Kieślowski's Dekalog.
- Ramiro Ledo Cordeiro is an editor and independent filmmaker whose films include CCCV, O proceso de Artaud and VidaExtra. He founded Cineclube in Compostela and was its director until 2007. Ramiro contributes to various media organisations, including Radio Galega, Xornal Galicia, Blogs&docs and Asociación Lumière. In 2014 he set up Numax, a Galician cooperative society, where he is general manager and head of Numax Cinema and Numax Distribution. Numax Cinema is a social-economy cooperative.
La Unión de Cineastas
- Mar Coll is a screenwriter and filmmaker. Her first film, Tres dies amb la família, won three awards at Málaga Film Festival, as well as a Goya for Best New Director and a Gaudí for Best Director. Mar sits on the coordinating committee and is an active member of Unión de Cineastas, a crosscutting association that brings together professionals from all areas of filmmaking, an unusual breadth of scope in the Spanish filmmaking industry. It champions cinema as a preeminent cultural art from in 21st-century society and stresses its central role in educating citizens.
- Date: Friday 20 November
- Time: de 9.30 am to 1.30 pm
- Place: CCCB Theatre (Montalegre, 5 - 08001 Barcelona)
- Contact: Patricia Sánchez ([email protected])
- Aimed at industry professionals
- Free admission
- Registration deadline: 16 de noviembre
- Places are limited
- Languages: Catalan, Spanish and English (simultaneous interpretation available)
Sign up here
You can watch the video of the 2014 professional meeting here.
- 9.15 am Registration
- 9.30 am Institutional Introduction
- 9.45 am Production and Distribution
- 11 am Digital Single Market Plan
- 11.15 am Coffee break
- 11.45 am Distribution and Exhibition
- 1.15 pm Unión de Cineastas
- 1.30 pm Drinks, snacks and networking. Lodeiros vermouth
Europa Creativa Desk – MEDIA Catalunya, el Departament de Cultura a través del Servei de Desenvolupament Empresarial (SDE-ICEC), Goethe-Institut and Vermut Lodeiros.