“A portrait of four women and their books. Women who have spent their life reading and studying, nurturing an invaluable heritage. A dogged act of personal resilience.” This is how Maria Elorza defines her debut feature, a tribute to an entire generation of women that uses a range of materials and formats (Super 8 archive footage, drawings and filmed objects, among others) to intertwine their voices in a rich tapestry of languages. A window onto the director’s immediate world which invites us to consider how literature and film can better our lives.
Maria Elorza (Vitoria-Gasteiz, 1988) graduated in audiovisual communication from the Universitat Pompeu Fabra in Barcelona and holds a Master’s Degree in Artistic Creation and Research from EHU/UPV. Since 2013 she has directed several shorts, the first four of which together with Maider Fernández Iriarte, as Las chicas de Pasaik. In 2018 she made her first solo short, Ancora lucciole, and in 2020 she teamed up with Koldo Almandoz to make Quebrantos. Her shorts have been screened at festivals worldwide, including San Sebastián, Málaga, Sevilla, Punto de Vista, DocumentaMadrid and Zinebi de Bilbao. A los libros y a las mujeres canto is her debut feature.
- Production company TXINTXUA FILMS
- Producer Marian Fernández Pascal
- Distributor MARIAN FERNANDEZ PASCAL
- Screenplay Maria Elorza
- Cinematography Maria Elorza
- Editing Maria Elorza
- Sound Maria Elorza, Anne Elorza
- Cast Antonia Deias, Loreto Casado, Viki Claramunt, Waltraud Kirste, Anne Elorza
- Contact [email protected]
- Premiere Catalan premiere
- L'Alternativa 2022 - Mención Especial Nacional + Premio DOCMA
- Festival de San Sebastián New Directors (Premio TCM de la Juventud y mención especial del Premio Irizar al Cine Vasco)