Director Natalia Garayalde was twelve when the Río Tercero munitions factory in Argentina exploded on 3 November 1995. Equipped with her father’s camcorder, she documented the scale of the disaster in her town. Twenty years on, she dug out these archives to reveal a huge arms trafficking scandal involving the Argentinian government. The town continued to grow after the explosion despite the stench of ammonia in their air, and the power of the military-industrial complex can still be felt today.
Made almost entirely out of archive material, Esquirlas is a firsthand reflection on family, pain and the passage of time, a further example that the personal is always political.
Natalia Garayalde (Río Tercero, Argentina, 1982) graduated in social communication from the Universidad Nacional de Córdoba. Esquirlas is her debut feature.
- Production company Punto de Fuga Cine
- Producer Eva Cáceres
- Screenplay Natalia Garayalde
- Editing Julieta Seco, Martín Sappia
- Sound Federico Disandro
- Cast Esteban Garayalde, Nicolás Garayalde, Carolina Garayalde, Gabriela Garayalde, Esther Rostagno
- Contact [email protected]
- Festival Internacional de Cine de Mar del Plata (Premio José Martínez Suárez a la Mejor Dirección)
- Visions du Réel, Burning Lights Competition, Official Selection (Special Jury Award)
- Jeonju International Film Festival (International Competition Grand Prize)
- Documenta Madrid (Premio Fugas Competencia Internacional)
- Sheffield DocFest, Tim Hetherington and Youth Jury Selections