The Basque verb heldu has several meanings, including “arrive”, “grasp” and “mature”. Its conjugated form heltzear means that any or all of these things is about to happen.
Donostia, 2000. The Basque conflict rages on. While writing a letter to her absent brother, 15-year-old Sara is training for the most difficult climb of her life.
Mikel Gurrea (Donostia, 1985) graduated in audiovisual communication from Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona. After winning a prestigious Obra Social ”la Caixa” scholarship, he did an MA at London Film School. His short films—including Foxes (2015), Txoria (2013) and Vermell en l'aigua (2010)—have won awards at festivals in Venice, San Sebastián and Montreal, and his theatre art has premiered at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London and the Fernando Fernán-Gómez theatre in Madrid. In summer 2021 he shot his first feature, Suro, which he developed at Ikusmira Berriak, Sources 2, and the Sam Spiegel Film Lab. He teaches at the Elías Querejeta Zine Eskola and works closely with the Cinema en curs project.
- Production company Irusoin
- Producer Xabier Berzosa
- Screenplay Mikel Gurrea
- Photography Julián Elizalde
- Editing Maialen Sarasua Oliden
- Music Maite Arroitajauregi
- Sound Andrea Sáenz Pereiro, Xanti Salvador
- Cast Haizea Oses, Mikel Arruti, Oier de Santiago
- Venice International Film Festival
- Donostia Zinemaldia
- Black Canvas Festival de Cine Contemporáneo
- Festival International du Cinéma Méditerranéen de Montpellier
- ZINEBI - Festival Internacional de Cine Documental y Cortometraje de Bilbao