Mentoring Projects is the annual meeting organised by l’Alternativa Professionals to promote the creation, production and distribution of audiovisual projects-in-progress that would benefit from personalised advice to help make them going concerns.
Mentoring Projects is held as part of the Barcelona Independent Film Festival, l’Alternativa, and draws on the Festival’s potential to raise the visibility of independent filmmaking. The Festival’s 25th edition will take place between 11 and 17 November 2019.
An industry professional will be specifically assigned to each shortlisted project to offer advice and assistance to the filmmaker, producer or distributor.
After carefully studying each project, we arrange sessions with suitable professional experts. Several of the projects selected for Mentoring Projects may also be put forward for workshops and labs and may also be nominated for awards.
We accept projects at the writing, preproduction, production or postproduction stage. We may require you to provide more detailed information if your film is shortlisted.
Supported by Catalan Films & TV.
In order to boost the development of innovative projects and expand the range of possibilities in the audiovisual industry, the postproduction and digital effects company Antaviana Films will award the Antaviana Prize to the most original and viable project from the films shortlisted for the 7th edition of Mentoring Projects at l'Alternativa Professionals. The prize consists of a Digital Cinema Package of the winning film (valued at €2,500).
The professional film-lighting hire company Kinolux/Cinelux will award the Kinolux Prize to the project shortlisted for the 7th edition of Mentoring Projects whose dossier or teaser features the best design or photography.
The prize consists of €1,000 in digital film-lighting material for shooting the film within a year of winning the prize.
Project Development Workshop with Pau Subirós
L'Alternativa Professionals will invite the directors and producers of four of the projects shortlisted for the 7th Mentoring Projects to take part in a project development workshop with producer, screenwriter and director Pau Subirós, who runs the production company El Kinògraf. At the end of the workshop, the projects will be presented to producers, distributors and exhibitors.
Primer Test del REC
L’Alternativa Professionals, in collaboration with REC, Tarragona International Film Festival, will choose one of the shortlisted projects at the postproduction stage to take part in Primer Test. Primer Test is a space where films in postproduction can receive expert advice on how to break into the international market.
Pitching Acció Curts by Dones Visuals
A project for a short film directed by a woman will be chosen to form part of the Pitching Acció Curts de Dones Visuals we shall be organising with Dones Visuals again this year as part of l'Alternativa Professionals. The selected project will be included in the screening, pitching and one-to-one sessions organised by Dones Visuals to forge ties between women directors and production companies to get their projects off the ground.
GAC Training and Pitching Forum
One feature-film project will be chosen to receive specific training on how to make a winning pitch and will also be invited to take part in the 6th Pitching Forum run by, Associated Screenwriters of Catalonia, as part of l'Alternativa Professionals. The aim is to forge direct ties between different audiovisual players and promote the positioning, development and production of projects.
The representatives of the projects shortlisted for Mentoring Projects (producer and director) will receive professional accreditation giving them access to all the professional activities, screenings, and video library (Official Sections, Panorama and Hall).
Films selected for previous editions of Mentoring Projects that have now been premiered or are awaiting their premiere:
- Al otro lado del muroPau Ortiz Rosell
- Casamance. La banda sonora de un viajePaloma Zapata
- Classe ValentaVíctor Alonso Berble
- Con el vientoMeritxell Colell
- El festival de la mentiraSilvía Subirós
- Estiu 1993Carla Simón
- FigurasEugenio Canevari
- Idrissa, crònica d’una mort qualsevolXapo Ortega, Xavier Artigas
- JudasJuan Carlos Carrano, Raúl Capdevila, Raúl Egüés, Alejandra Vera
- La ChanaLucija Stojevic
- Les distànciesElena Trapé
- Letters to Paul MorriseyArmand Rovira
- Lluc Sky WalkerJaume Fargas
- No t’aturisAïda Torrent
- No todo es vigiliaHermes Paralluelo
- OccidenteJorge Acebo
- SotaboscDavid Gutiérrez
- TchindasPablo García, Marc Serena
- Trinta LumesDiana Toucedo
- Viaje al cuarto de una madreCelia Rico
- Yes we fuckAntonio Centen, Raúl de la Morena
- Promote production and distribution opportunities for emerging filmmaking.
- Encourage the development of innovative audiovisual projects through professional events.
- Expand business opportunities for the independent Catalan audiovisual industry worldwide.
- Boost the role of l’Alternativa a leading example of an international platform for forging ties between independent filmmaking professionals.
By submitting a project, you agree to the following terms and conditions:
- Projects should be submitted as indicated in the How to Submit a Project section below.
- Projects may be submitted in Catalan, Spanish, English or French. However, shortlisted projects will have to be presented in English, the working language of the professional experts.
- To submit a project, you need to pay a non-refundable €10 registration fee.
- The director and/or producer of the selected projects should attend the event in person and will be given professional accreditation. All participants agree that any images of them taken at the Festival may be used for promotional purposes.
- The Festival will require the producers of the selected projects to include a mention of the project’s involvement in Mentoring Projects in the credits of all copies of the finished project.
- The credits should also include any awards won by the project and any programmes it was involved with.
- There is no limit to the number of projects you may present.
- Projects that strongly reflect artistic risk-taking and originality, irrespective of the size of their budget.
- Projects that explore original subject matter in a striking way.
- Possible and/or confirmed sources of funding.
- The director’s and/or producer’s professional career.
- Languages spoken by the director and/or producer.
- Projects with specific links to Catalonia.
Fill in the application form in Catalan, Spanish, French or English. Bear in mind that if your project is shortlisted, you will need to submit the information in English.
Please send any images or dossier that you have for the project to firstname.lastname@example.org (maximum file size: 10 MB) or include a link in the application form.
27 June 2019
Patricia Sánchez: email@example.com