A Russian can say: “I hear the smell.” A maestro has a vision of what a symphony should sound like. Jean-Luc Godard “listens to the light”. In a silent film, how can one make spectators see sound? A vivid and noisy assemblage of archival and contemporary imagery meditating on the past and presence of film audio.
Vivian Ostrovsky (New York, 1945) grew up in Rio and studied film studies and psychology in Paris. Her signature collage shorts and avant-garde documentaries have been shown at leading film festivals worldwide and form part of collections at the MoMA in New York, the Centre Pompidou in Paris and the Freunde der deutschen Kinemathek in Berlin, among others. Whether personal or historical, her projects are always infused with dreamlike playfulness and intimate nostalgia.
- Production company On the Fly
- Producer Vivian Ostrovsky
- Editing Ruth Gadish
- Dobra - Festival Internacional de Cinema Experimental, Rio de Janeiro, 2019
- Festival Signes de Nuit, Paris, 2019 (Special Tribute Award)
- ZINEBI, Bilbao, 2019
- Ann Arbor Film Festival, USA, 2020
- Festival International du Film sur l’Art (Artfifa) de Montréal, Canada, 2020